Wednesday, November 23, 2005

nothing says "holiday" like ample parking.

the mass exodus has begun. ann and dabney have spent this morning inside, watching everyone outside pack up the turkey platters and pies into their cars and drive out of town. soon the superette household will be full of turkey day visitors, but, until then, they are enjoying the pre-holiday feeling of calm. ann and dabney did their food shopping earlier in the week, so no last minute runs to trader joe's for wine or dried fruit are needed. the cooking duties will be distributed among guests, so they aren't stressed about vast amounts of food that needs to be prepared in advance. they don't even have to dread a long drive to some distant relative's house. instead, boston has a downright peaceful bent to it. there's no hustling for spots for the cars; folks are smiling at each other. quick, to the south end! there's a thanksgiving cornucopia of parking for all! why, if they wanted, ann and dabney could get in their car and drive around the block, and wind up at the curb directly in front of their house. just for shits and giggles!

and for that, they are truly thankful.



2 comments:

Terra said...

AHhhh Ladies,

That sounds so lovely. I wish so much I could be there with you, alas family issues have called me down south.

I am right now staring beyond the wrap-around veranda out at the bayou. I think it's a bayou anyway. It's marshy and grassy. Low Country. We're having shrimp for dinner, of course.

It has been too long. Party Chez Moi when I return.

Anonymous said...

Funny. Only about half my students came to class yesterday. Those who did were thrilled to find so much parking on campus! Disgruntled, I mumbled something about how the faculty lots were just as full as usual.

A very happy Thanksgiving to you both! I hope it's a wonderful day! I see Ashlee is already up with the turkey, so it sounds like a great day for good eatin'! If there is any kind of snafu in the kitchen today, just as yourself: What Would Tony Bourdain Do?

Hugs to Dabney, Ann, Feidler, and the rest from Diego and me!