Wednesday, January 21, 2009

peking duck and ugly cries

it was a family weekend. mom and dad were here. dabney's mom was in town swinging back through on her way home to hawaii.  in order to mark the occasion, we had a giant meal, complete with peking duck and salt & pepper flounder, at my family's favorite chinese restaurant here in st. louis. while there, we managed to cause a minor scene with a raucous squabble over the bill.  diane, with her undeniable scrappiness, won in the end.  my mother was none too amused.  ahh... family.

this weekend, i cried. it's been a long time since i cried - you know, a hard, ugly cry. i guess i should explain right here and now that it had nothing to do with family being in town. i am almost too embarrassed to admit what brought on such tears and near hyperventilation, but it was the movie "marley & me." cheeseball, i know, but the scenes of that big oaf of a dog reminded me of feidler, of course. and the end? don't get me started about the end! let's just say that when dabney looked over at me and started laughing, all hell broke loose. it was dark in that theater, but i am sure that my face was bright red. my body temperature rose to the point of me wanting to tear off my wool sweater. i could barely breathe. i guess that's what happens when one cries and laughs simultaneously to the point of ridiculousness. man, it felt good. the movie? it was just okay.

2 comments:

cynthia hood said...

I love a good cry over a film. Mine was Sunday night over Love Song for Bobby Long.

tomoko said...

simultaneous cry & laugh!
pets we've loved!

two of my favorite things.

(and your house progress is VERY exciting!)