Friday, October 14, 2005

renovation distraction

even though they ought to be sewing, silkscreening, advertising, web designing, etc. ann and dabney are currently obessessed with their apartment - the space in which they spend entirely too much time now that it's turned rainy and cold, and now that they both "work" at home.

living in an apartment in a 100+ year old rowhouse has its advantages and disadvantages. old houses have a charm that's hard to duplicate - bay windows, marble (although non-working) fireplace, and exposed brick to name a few. but they have also talked about the mood-altering lack of light, the petty crime in the 'hood, and the three-ton elephants that live upstairs. lately, it's become painfully clear that people who lived 100 years ago must have had no use for shelves or closets. there's just no storage. where, oh where, did they keep their whale bone stays? their tins of snuff?

for two modern-day people, who undeniably have too much stuff, it is a clutter-full environment to say the least - even after stemming the glut of useless knick-knacks years ago. still, supplies for their business alone can effortlessly fill a room. ann and dabney's newest strategy to corral the array of possessions? shelving.



everywhere you look, there will be shelving. shelving for books: knitting books, design books, sketch books, and harry potter.



shelves to hold the weight of a decrepit stereo system circa 1991, tivo, and a flashy new flat screen tv.



shelves to display paper flowers from ann and dabney's wedding. shelves to hold the rock that had to be surgically removed from feidler's tummy. shelves to hold the bionic chestnut that had to be surgically removed from feidler's same tummy six months later.

and yes, shelving to safely contain that damn candle warmer that ann refuses to get rid of.

IMG_6156.JPG

6 comments:

Ashbloem said...

Yay candlewarmer!

ann & dabney said...

ashbloem is my friend. she supports my candle habits...

-a

Anonymous said...

Um has it been so long since I've been about that I don't recognize your place anymore? Where were those pictures taken? Since when do you get so much sunlight? Did you tear down a few walls and tunnel up from below street level?

Elizabeth said...

I'm way impressed with the organization of all your shelves!

I've got the same shelves that are in your last picture and, well, if they were holding a bionic chestnut I wouldn't be able to find it!

Terra said...

I feel your pain. My lovely apartment has ONE closet. Yes, just one. Not two, not even a pantry. Just one closet for all my shoes, coats, linens, sweaters, ball gowns, wigs, boots, pants, jeans, t-shirts, belts, etc.

Bah.

But I love my exposed red brick.

t-walk.

Anonymous said...

I will also support the candlewarmer! It kept me company those last couple of days before my defense!
Ocean Water scent kicks ass!