Wednesday, August 18, 2010

article on edible souvenirs

this recent article in the ny times on buying edible souvenirs resonates with me.  in fact, dabney and i spent most of yesterday packing up the station wagon with bottles of craft beer, hard cider, and maple syrup for our ride home back to the midwest.  if only cheese could survive the trip!

those who know me well often bring delicious edibles when they visit - smoked salmon, kona coffee, cajun peanuts, jars of special jams...  YUMMMMMM

my dad always brings me jars of pickled green tomatoes from my favorite hometown restaurant.  that stuff makes any kind of fish sing.

what this article doesn't cover are the tricks and illegal risks it takes to get the most delicious stuff back from overseas.  every year, my mother and aunt risk life and limb to bring a little bit of home back from manila.  i don't know what their secret is, but they've never been caught.  knock on wood.

No comments: